These are some of the news reports from across the UK:

Carbon monoxide fears over death

A man has died and his wife has been taken to hospital suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Ambulance and fire crews were called to a house in Doncaster.

Michael Mackay, 60, was found dead at the scene and his wife Patricia, who is in her late 50s, was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary. The couple's son Ian called for carbon monoxide detectors to be made compulsory in every home. He said: "I'm a biology teacher and I teach my sixth form students about carbon monoxide poisoning because they are going to be going to university next year and they are at risk. You don't think it's going to be your mum and dad that succumbs to it. I can't believe that people wouldn't have a carbon monoxide detector in their house, because you can't smell it, taste it, you don't know it's there. You just feel drowsy and then you don't wake up."

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said they believed the fumes had come from a solid fuel fire at the property.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6353459.stm - BBC News

Blocked chimney leads to deaths

The deaths of a woman and her elderly mother from carbon monoxide poisoning have led to warnings that people should check their chimneys. Police called to a house in Tunbridge Wells on Thursday found the bodies of the women, Florence Holeman, aged 98 and Marion Stillwell, aged 61.

Det Sgt Andrea Richards said debris had built up in the chimney and there was no ventilation in the room. She said the deaths were not being treated as suspicious.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6100008.stm - BBC News

Chimney check warning after fire


The fire service is highlighting the importance of regularly checking and sweeping chimneys following a fire in a hotel. Two crews and the aerial ladder platform were called to the blaze in the loft.

The hotel was evacuated and crews used a hose and a hose reel to put out the fire which burnt through the roof. Its cause is thought to be a defective flue from an open fire.

Paul Scott of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "This fire highlights just how important it is to look after your chimneys and ensure that they are safe. We would advise that residents have their chimney swept and checked over at least once a year for solid fuel, gas or oil fires, and around four times a year for wood burning fires when in use. We would also appeal to residents to have chimneys checked immediately if they suspect that there might be any damage to the chimney flue”.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8033671.stm - BBC News

Warning over chimney fire dangers

A dramatic increase in the number of chimney blazes has sparked a warning from firefighters in Cumbria. They have attended 154 fires in the past nine months, and many have caused extensive damage to people's homes.

A spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue said high domestic fuel prices and cold weather had led to more people lighting fires in their hearths. They warned that chimney fires could endanger lives and urged people to have their chimneys checked.

Lesley Graham, community safety manager, said: “Many people forget that a fire in the hearth can still be dangerous. Chimney fires and related incidents can spread into the roof space or floor cavity and endanger the lives of people in the house as well as causing extensive damage. Before you use your chimney, it is essential to ensure it has recently been swept and you do not allow soot or ash to build up."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7835261.stm - BBC News